July 30, 2010

Cash Bar at a Wedding Reception?

"Is there an open bar at the reception?" My sister asked me yesterday, as we were walking to our cousins wedding ceremony. "I'm sure!" I replied. But then it got me thinking, should one assume there will be an open bar at a wedding reception?

According to traditional etiquette, having a cash bar is a BIG no no. It would be like asking your friends to pay for a glass of wine at your home. Weird! On the other hand, people are becoming less and less traditional and rationalize the significant cost cut that can occur with eliminating an open bar.

Luckily, my cousins family stayed true to the traditions that our grandparents set forth and provided an amazing top shelf hosted bar! Thanks Kevin and Emily for a beautiful and cash-less reception!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy your cousins family provided the hosted bar. I got married few months ago and when I was looking for the venues I was so surprised when the Catering staff told us how common is doing a cash bar nowadays. I'm Mexican and there's no way to do that, it's considered rude and tacky! Of course, we opted for hosting the bar too.

    ReplyDelete